– Eligibility –
High school teachers or advisors are required to fill out a brief application to determine eligibility for the contest.
Eligibility will be determined by the following:
- Traditional public, charter, private, and other approved high schools that are recognized and can be verified by the appropriate state’s Department of Education.
- Other public agencies (e.g., first responders and health professionals) may partner with a verifiable school, and will be approved on a case-by-case basis.
Teacher/advisors will receive a phone call/email from Impact Teen Drivers to confirm eligibility to enter the contest.
– Requirements –
During the Create Real Impact contest teachers or advisors will oversee and guide the student leaders’ efforts for the Distracted Driving Social Media Campaign.
The campaign must include a minimum of four components:
- Develop an action plan for your social media campaign.
- Consider implementing the campaign during National Teen Driver Safety Week (October 18–24).
- Determine which social media platforms students will use for their campaign.
- Teachers or advisors and students to decide which social media platforms they would like to use.
- Social media platforms students may use include Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, or YouTube.
- Determine who will be responsible for each role of the campaign.
- Create a plan to develop appropriate social media content.
- Develop a press release that will be shared with your local stakeholders.
- Local stakeholders can include but are not limited to health professionals, educators, first responders, city or county council, school districts.
- Ask local stakeholders for support to share the campaign on their social media platforms during your campaign week(s) and websites to engage your community members.
- Students can use the template that is provided on the website or develop their own.
- Distribute your press release.
- Implement the social media campaign that the students developed in their action planning.
- Campaign must span at least one week (Monday-Friday).
- Campaign can run up to two weeks if the students choose.
- Students will promote their content on one or more of the above social media platforms.
- Content must be appropriate as determined by the teacher or advisor.
- Students must create original appropriate content that provides solutions or strategies for ending reckless and distracted driving.
- Students are welcome to share existing Impact Teen Drivers distracted driving resources, (e.g., PSAs, posters, personal stories).
The social media campaign must include a minimum of the following (students are welcome to create more content if they so choose):
- A minimum of five (5) infographics, flyers, or posters: Original infographics, flyers, or posters that will be shared on the selected social media platforms.
- A minimum of five (5) items considered social media content: Original social media content providing tips and strategies for keeping drivers and passengers safe inside of the car. Social media content (Tweets, Gifs, Boomerangs, Stories, Filters) will be used and shared on the selected social media platforms.
- A minimum of five (5) public service announcements: Original 15–60 second Public Service Announcements (PSAs) that can be shared on social media. *Remember, students may submit their PSA as an individual entry into the Create Real Impact Contest. See the bottom of the document for more details.
As noted above, social media campaigns must include a minimum of fifteen (15) individual social media items.
- Create a short video (no more than three minutes in length).
- Showcase your campaign, what you did, how you did, how effective it was for your community, and some of the social media content your students created.
- Communicate how successfully you engaged, educated, and empowered your community to help stop the number one killer of young people.
– Judging for Winners –
Entries will be judged in two rounds with the first one selecting 10 finalists and the final round selecting the first, second, and third prize winners. In round one of judging, the video and press release will determine if the campaign is selected to move on to the final round of judging.
The video and press release must be submitted via email email@example.com on or before the closing date of the Create Real Impact contest: April 15, 2021, by 2:00 p.m. (PT). Impact Teen Drivers is not responsible for lost or undeliverable emails. We suggest using a “read receipt” which we will acknowledge. Video and press release will be judged on how well they communicate the content and accomplishments of the campaign.
Impact Teen Drivers will notify up to 10 school entrants (selected by the judges in round one, no later than April 16, 2021) who will be moving onto the final round. As a finalist that moves from round one to the final round, the teachers or advisors will be responsible for working with their student leaders to determine their 15 best social media content items to upload to their Google Drive folder for consideration.
Teachers and advisors will be responsible for sharing those items via a Google Drive folder provided by Impact Teen Drivers. Final round of judging will determine the winners based on the video, the top 15 content items, and the press release
– Educational Grants –
SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO NOT AWARD AN EDUCATIONAL GRANT IN ANY CATEGORY THAT HAS LESS THAN 30 ENTRIES.Three (3) Distracted Driving Social Media Campaign Educational Grants will be awarded to the approved school on behalf of the winning teachers or advisors by a panel of qualified judges, whose decisions regarding the contest and related matters are final. Final round of judging will grade the campaign on the following rubric: 25% concept and creativity, 25% execution of the campaign, and 50% effectiveness of the message.
Prizes will be award to the teachers or advisors with the best campaigns as follows:
First place- $10,000
Second place- $5,000
Third place- $2,500
Checks will be mailed to the high school that is verified on the state Department of Education website or other preapproved public agency.
– Directions to Enter –
- Read all of the rules.
- Fill out the eligibility application.
- If approved, start action planning with your students about the campaign.
- The video and press release must be submitted via email firstname.lastname@example.org on or before the closing date of the Create Real Impact contest: April 15, 2021, by 2:00 p.m. (PT)
SUBMISSION OF ANY ENTRY IN THIS CONTEST CONSTITUTES ENTRANT’S IRREVOCABLE ASSIGNMENT, CONVEYANCE, AND TRANSFERENCE TO SPONSOR OF ALL RIGHT, TITLE, AND INTEREST IN THE ENTRY, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ALL COPYRIGHTS.
– Rights to Use and Materials –
Sponsor will have the right to edit, publish, or otherwise duplicate any submissions entered into the contest without payment or notification to the entrant.
By submitting responses to the contest, teachers/advisors agree to the following:
“I am submitting an original campaign to the Create Real Impact Contest. I certify that the campaign is the students’ own work and that I have abided by all guidelines and requirements of the Create Real Impact Contest. I understand that the campaign will not be returned to me and will become the property of Impact Teen Drivers to use at its discretion in activities related to publicizing the contest and/or other activities. I further understand that judges’ decisions are final.”
If the Create Real Impact Contest is canceled, or if a winning entrant is unable to participate or found ineligible for any reason, the educational award(s) will be forfeited.
Teachers/advisors further agree that by submitting an entry to the Create Real Impact Contest that the entrant grants to Sponsor worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free right to distribute, publish and/or otherwise use the entrant’s submission in any manner required to promote or otherwise operate the Contest or any other usage reasonably needed by such entities
– Late, Lost, or Incorrect Entries –
Sponsor is not responsible for late, lost, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, illegible, or misdirected submissions, which are void. In addition, by entering, contestants represent and warrant that the entries that they submit:
- The social media content is the students’ original creations.
- Do not infringe any other person’s or entity’s rights including music, graphic design, etc.
- We’re not created or filmed while violating California Vehicle Code or any other state’s Motor Vehicle Code.
– General Rules –
By entering or participating in the Contest, participants agree to be bound by these Official Rules. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for electronic hardware, programming, or software malfunctions, or failures, or line connections, accessibility or availability, or technical failures of any kind, or unauthorized human intervention, or the incorrect or inaccurate capture of any entry or other information, or for the failure to capture any such information. Sponsor is not responsible for: any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by contestants, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to, malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Contest; technical or human error that may occur in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries. Further, if, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned by reason of infection by virus, bugs, worms, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes that, in the sole opinion of the Sponsor, may corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest, Sponsor reserves the right, at their sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest, and select the winner for the Contest from the entries received prior to the action taken or in other such manner as deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor. Participants, by receipt of an educational grant in this Award Contest, hereby waive and release, and agree to hold harmless the Sponsor, all promotions and advertising agencies, and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, distributors, advertising and promotions agencies and all of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives, and agents, from and against, any and all rights, claims, and causes of action whatsoever that they may have, or which may arise, against any of them for any liability for any matter, cause or thing whatsoever, including but not limited to any injury, loss, or damage, whether direct, compensatory, incidental, or consequential, to person, including death and property, arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from their acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of the educational grant in the Contest, or their participation in the Contest, or their participation in any Contest or educational grant related activity, or any travel related to the Contest or any travel for any educational grant related activity. Winner also further acknowledges that Sponsor, their affiliates, subsidiaries, employees, officers, directors, and promotions and advertising agencies have neither made, nor are in any manner responsible or liable for, any warranty, representation, or guarantee, expressed or implied, in fact or in law relative to any educational grant or the Contest including, but not limited to, quality, condition, or fitness for a particular purpose. Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest or any educational grant awarded shall be resolved under the laws of the State of California, without respect to any conflict of law issues, and entrant agrees that such shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the Federal and State Courts of California.
RULES/WINNERS LIST REQUESTS: To obtain these rules or a list of contest winners, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to: Impact Teen Drivers, 2210 21st Street, Sacramento, CA 95818. Requests for winners’ lists must be postmarked on or before April 30, 2021.
SPONSOR: Impact Teen Drivers, Attn: Create Real Impact Contest, 2210 21st Street, Sacramento, CA 95818.
All state laws apply to this contest, and parental permission for further contact and actual educational grant award may be required. (The approximate odds of winning will depend on the number of entries received.)